What Makes a Custom Belt
Each belt is hand cut from select American tanned leather.
Single layer belts are cut from hand selected heavy skirting backs, and are each are measured for thickness and chosen for quality.
Lined, or two layer belts, are matched from hand cut American tanned backs to provide the most uniform thickness. Front layer of a lined belt is chosen for color and quality to provide the finest in appearance and strength. The lining is selected to balance the outer layer and provide a uniform thickness.
Since these belts are made from a natural material, there will be some variation in thickness along its length and slight variation in colors.
Greystone Leather works to provide you the finest products and best value.
Both single and lined belts go through an extensive finishing process,
to create a quality, beautiful belt that has value for you to own.
1. Skirting hides and backs are selected for thickness and quality
2. Hides are prepared for cutting by squaring the initial cutting edge
3. Belts are cut by hand using traditional leather tools
4. Belts are inspected for optimum yield, and then cut to length for use
5. Layered belts are bonded with the liner
6. Points and buckle holes are done with hand mauls and steel hole punches
7. Edges are hand beveled to continue old world traditions
8. Belts are dyed to color and hand rubbed
9. Edges are now burnished and sanded
10. Edges are re-burnished for final finish
11. Edges are now hand sealed with sealer, and colored for uniform appearance
12. Belt loop keepers follow similar processes and are matched to belts
13. Stitched belts are sewn not only for strength, as well as appearance
14. Belts keepers and buckles are added to the belts
15. Final hand buffing, and conditioner are applied
16. Belts edges are resealed with bee’s wax and buffed for moisture protection
17. Final inspection, and ready for a new owner!